Sunday 18 December 2011

Santa Claus is coming to town

Twas the morning of Christmas, when all through the house not a creature was stirring, except for my cat - who heard footsteps approaching, boots scraping the mat, and sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.


I was still nestled all snug in my bed, while nightmares of shopping malls danced through my head, when out on the doorstep there arose such a clatter - knock, KNOCK, knock, KNOCK and "Is anyone there?" - that away to the front door I flew like a flash. I peered through the peephole - doesn't pay to be rash - when what to my wondering eyes should appear, but


"Mrs. Claus! Come in, come in!"


"Please don't call me that," she said as she swept in the door. "Sure, I'm married to Claus, but I'm not Mrs. Claus any more than your president's wife is Mrs. Bill or Nancy is Mrs. Ron."


"But what is "


"Let's get this name thing straight once and for all. We don't have a last name like all you modern folks do. Santa means saint - though I wonder sometimes. I mean, would you call a man who leaves dirty dishes all over his workshop a saint?"


The joy of seeing a wish fulfilled and being a part of the Make-a-Wish Foundation as we’ve been connected with Macy’s. Actually, since 1862, I’ve been seeing children with Macy’s. That’s almost 150 years. Macy’s has been donating money to the Make-a-Wish Foundation over the years, and through the “Believe” program, with each letter that is opened and delivered to a Macy’s store, Macy’s will donate $1 to the Make-a-Wish Foundation. And their goal this year is to raise $1 million. [Jolly laugh.] That’s a million reasons for Macy’s customers to believe right there alone.


Oh, well, I have some of my elves with me on this trip. You see, we’re on a nationwide tour over 26 days to see as many boys and girls as we can and to share with them this message about the Macy’s “Believe” and the Make-a-Wish Foundation. So they’re back home working diligently and continuing to get those toys together and keep everything in order. Mrs. Claus is there helping to supervise things while we are out seeing everyone around the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment