Monday 28 May 2012

Good Luck Springfield teen heads to Washington, D.C. for National Spelling Bee


Pacheco, who credits his mom for taking time to study with him. Pacheco's dad died before he was born.


"It's been meaningful to me because I really enjoy studying with my mom," Pacheco tells KSPR News. "Since my mom's my only parent, it gives me more time to spend with her and I really like that."


Pacheco just finished 7th grade at Pipkin Middle School.


If you thought learning how to spell 3,000 words wasn't enough, Pacheco had to memorize thousands of hebrew characters and read scripture for his Bar Mitzvah - a Jewish rite of passage.


There are various portions of the competition and all of it can be watched live online or on-air.


Pacheco's run starts in the prelimiaries on Tuesday, broadcast online at www.ESPN3.com. Pacheco's group (spellers 139 - 278) will spell from 9:00 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. and then 2:30 p.m. to 4:15 p.m. Pacheco is speller #139, so make sure to tune in on-time!


Only a small number of the 278 participants will advance to the Semifinals/Finals on May 31st.


The semifinals will take place Thursday at 9:00 a.m. on ESPN2, with the finals later that day at 7:00 p.m. on ESPN.

No comments:

Post a Comment