Thursday 22 March 2012

American Idol" Billy Joel Week: Just the Gay You Are

Sorry. I was out all day on a media tour of a “Zombie Tour” of Atlanta, which took us around to spots around metro Atlanta where the first season of “The Walking Dead” were shot as well a couple of “Zombieland” moments, too. The first official tour is March 31.


But back to the real world and a very late entry into the day here. I will be live blogging tonight by the way.


- P. Diddy, who has appeared on “Idol’ before, will be mentoring tonight with Jimmy Iovine on Billy Joel night. Will he add much to the proceedings? I doubt it.


Before I get to the compliments, let me enjoy a quick screed: 1) Why does Elise sully her lovely vocals with those "thuggy" hand gestures? Thugs don't wear magenta dresses and vests! I remember that from social studies. 2) This girl should be dressing like Rickie Lee motherf***ing Jones. Bring me a kickass men's shirt and superfly jeans, please. Screed over. So wahoo, Elise finally garnered the judges' full respect. She's a dandy vocalist who sounds like a mashup of late Joni Mitchell and, well, early Rickie Lee Jones. I don't know if that's ever a genre that Idol voters can learn to care about, but the point is this girl rules, even on a Billy Joel song I've never heard before. It's the kind of fire that could make a middle-aged songwriter drive drunkenly into a house. Yay, I finally made that Billy Joel joke.


Colton's vocals have long been underestimated in the competition (by me, too :/ ), but realness scholar Diddy said it best: "Piano Man" was made for Colton. The lanky ivory-tickler pulled through, y'all. Likably melodramatic, pitch-perfect, and not too self-consciously Gavin DeGraw/Ben Jelen-esque in execution. Now, time for the fun speculation: This kid gay or straight? I want to know. It won't make me like him more or less, but Colton has a cheeky streak, and I associate that quality primarily with homosexuals. Regardless, he has to have taken part in at least one homoerotic VMan photo shoot, right? Let's get to work Google-

No comments:

Post a Comment