Sunday 15 January 2012

DOLLY PARTON Good Genes or Good Docs

Joyful Noise" is an excellent experiment in bladder control. When a character begins singing a song, one can rest assured that they are going to finish the entire song and, if needed, these are the times to get up and use the restroom.


I even tested the theory. When one song began I was able to leave the theater, go about my business, and return with more than a full verse remaining. Being inside of a public restroom, without a doubt, was a more enjoyable experience than "Joyful Noise."


This is not a movie. This is a soundtrack of gospel-charged pop songs frequently interrupted by bad dialogue, overacting and cringe-worthy moments of wondering what the world of plastic surgery has done to Dolly Parton's face.


When their choir director dies during the opening credits — the great Kris Kristofferson, who checks out of this mess early but lingers in the plot like a poor, trapped ghost who must have really needed a paycheck — the two eldest members, Vi Rose (Queen Latifah) and G.G. (Dolly Parton), butt heads over how to win their next competition.


Parton said the following about her struggles with outdoor performances in Australia, “It was summer there actually and they have a lot of creatures there. It’s amazing. Seriously, we worked one outside show at a vineyard, and I’m so fair, I’m so white, and usually I like (to wear) light stage clothes, and I was like a beacon to every freakin’ single thing. All I know is that the bugs were bigger than bats and the bats were bigger than eagles.


“It was like, ‘Oh my lord!’ They were just soaring around and (there were) just bugs all over. I was just stomping all over the floor, they thought I was dancing, but I was trying to kill bugs.”


Parton said that she even wound up swallowing one of the bugs: “I sucked a bug down my throat and I kept saying, ‘I stay on a high-protein diet but this is ridiculous because this isn’t the kind of protein I want!’


“I had to stop a couple of times and get a cup of water. Really, they were scary… but the crowds were great, so they made it (worthwhile).

No comments:

Post a Comment