Tuesday 13 December 2011

Romney’s Heated Exchange With a Veteran



Manchester, N.H.— New Hampshire voters pride themselves on vetting and testing their candidates, and Vietnam veteran Bob Garon waited for more than two hours at a Manchester diner Monday to get Mitt Romney’s views on the proposed repeal of New Hampshire’s law permitting gay marriage.


“I judge most people by their eyes, as I think most Americans do,” Garon said a few minutes before Romney sidled over to his booth inside Chez Vachon, a popular breakfast spot known for its crepes and pork pies. What he saw at the diner, before they even spoke, did not impress. Garon was put off by Romney’s manner -- namely that he had done a series of television interviews before greeting patrons.


Eventually Garon, who is 63 and married to a man, got his chance for a one-on-one exchange. Noticing Garon’s black Vietnam veteran cap, Romney sat down beside him and tried to strike up a conversation about his military service as reporters and cameramen crowded around the booth.


“I’ve have a question for you,” Garon said, cutting off the former Massachusetts governor’s attempt at chitchat. “New Hampshire has some legislation kicking around about the repeal of same-sex marriage [law].… All I need is a yes or a no.”


Romney crisply told Garon that because of his view that “marriage is between a man and woman,” he supported efforts to repeal the law.


Mr. Garon responded, “It’s good to know how you feel, that you do not believe that everyone is entitled to their Constitutional rights.”


To which Mr, Romney replied: “No, actually, I think at the time the Constitution was written it was pretty clear that marriage is between a man and a woman, and I don’t believe the Supreme Court has changed that.”


As the exchange grew increasingly heated, Mr. Romney’s body man cut a path through the crowd and intervened. “Governor, we’ve got to get on with Fox News right now,” he said, trying to pull Mr. Romney away.


“I guess the question was too hot!” Mr. Garon said, as Mr. Romney began to get up.


“No, you said you had a yes or no answer,” Mr. Romney said. “I gave you the answer.”


But Mr. Garon wasn’t done. “You did, and I appreciate your answer,” he said. “And you know, I also learned something, and New Hampshire is right. You have to look a man in the eye to get a good answer, and you know what, governor, good luck — you’ll need it.”


“You are right about that,” said Mr. Romney, chuckling as he walked away.


Afterward, Mr. Garon, who legally married another man in June, said Mr. Romney was not getting his vote.


“He told me that I’m not entitled to Constitutional rights,” he said. “I think a man and a woman and a man and a man should be treated equal.”


Adding that while he had been undecided until he chatted with Mr. Romney, Mr. Garon said, “I’m totally convinced today that he’s not going to be my president — at least in my book.”


“This man is ‘No way, Jose,’” he said. “Well, take that ‘No way, Jose’ back to Massachusetts.”


Though Mr. Garon conceded that Mr. Romney had handled his question fairly, giving him the yes or no answer he’d requested, he nonetheless offered an unfavorable prediction for the Republican primary outcome.


“He is not going to make it,” he said. “Because you can’t trust him. I just saw it in his eyes. I judge a man by his eyes.”


So, does he agree with Mr. Romney on any issue?


“I kind of liked his health care plan in Massachusetts,” Mr. Garon said.

No comments:

Post a Comment